Re: [repost] help with trans please!

> well i posted anhour ago and still don't see my message sooo...
>
> i'm hearing a ginding noise while in motion and in gear. if i pop the
> shifter out of gear it stops and if i depress the clutch it tops.
> this has me very worried. the car is shifting and running fine,
> it sounds like metal in metal medium-pitched..sprta a grinding
> sound.uggg
>
> ryan
> 87 16v scirocco 5spd manual

I had very similar symptoms this summer.  It turned out to be 2 (yes two)
bad inner CV joints.  Check those for play.  Do this by jacking up
the car, support it well with stands or blocks, now try to rotate
the drive shaft with you hands.  Any movement (without the tire rotating)
indicates a worn CV joint.  Did you ever notice the metal heat shield
around the passenger side inner joint?  This helps keep the exhaust heat
from cooking the grease out of the CV joint.  Well, mine cooked anyway.
(Mmmmm, good.  I like my CV joints well done and brown _all_ the way to
the edge please).  The other side failed due to a leaking drive flange
seal.  (Let's see, mix well with tranny fluid, and VOILA! Ruined CV joint)
Good luck, and I hope this may help.

==Brett