Good Model Years<?>(was Ridiculously HIGH maint costs!)

Brubaker, John wrote:

> ...85 through 87 (possibly even later) are notorious for quality
> control problems (doors don't open, windshield wipers don't work,
> window crank brakes, etc.), but I've never heard of any major engine
> problems.

This statement really got my attention!  I'm patiently shopping for the
"right" 16V Scirocco and I've been lurking here to pick up any tips.
The car I'm looking for will be a daily driver and "toy" so basically
I'm looking for a car with all the options(thinking Wolfsburg, leather,
power windows, etc.) and the "85 thru 87" comment above hits right in
the heart of the model years I've been considering.

Now I'm curious as to which model years I should consider and if there
are any to stay away from.  Are these "quality control" problems
something that can be fixed(BTDT) or are any "fatal"?

TIA,
Patrick
--
Patrick Flowers