Re: 3 cylinder Scirocco

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997 19:18:09 -0700 Benton Yoshida
<byoshida@zygote.hsc.usc.edu> writes:
> I pulled the plug
>boots one by one with the motor running and saw some sparking to the
block
>(gave myself a nice taste of the electric chair too)

Like the fat kid on the "Simpsons" says, HAH-HAH!  :)

Ive been there, done that too so I can laugh.

>  each one although
>when I repeated it today during the day I couldn't see a spark  cylinder
>#4 and when I pulled it there was no change in the motor.  If I pulled
any
>of the other 3, the engine would stumble more than it already was
stumbling.
>	The #4 plug looks OK but I replaced it anyway, along with the
cap
>and rotor.  No change.  I measured the resistance from inside the cap to
>the terminal of the #4 wire and got about 6K ohms, well below the 50K
>limit.  I haven't done anything to check the fuel delivery.  Since the
plug
>was not wet or oil-soaked, can I assume that it's firing?

No, the plug can be dry and still not fire. You didn't test anything
else? What was the resistance on the #4 spark plug? and what about the #4
spark plug wire?
There is the chance your #4 fuel injector isn't flowing properly, or not
at all. Id try the little test kit that Paul described a while ago to
test all 4 of the injectors. Its quick fast and cheap. (You gotta drink 4
bottles of water tho!) Since you changed the rotor, then my previous
mentioned items should be looked at closer.

>	What could cause these symptoms to occur and so suddenly?  I
didn't
>check the ignition timing since I don't have a light but the distributor
>doesn't seem loose.  Does this sound like a thrown rod?  I called a shop
>and they asked me to bring the car in Saturday  a compression check.
>Any ideas?  TIA.  Trick or treat indeed, benton------

I Don't think its a thrown rod. I think you would know if it were  sure.
(Big puddle of oil under the car. Smoke. Fire. Really scarry noises.)
Does the car run fine after you give it some gas, or does it run on 3
cylinders all the time, no matter what the throttle setting is? It could
be a low fuel pressure problem. Still, look at the other things i
mentioned first. You could just have a bad spark plug wire.

>p.s.  Which plug wire should be closest to the vacuum advance canister?
Do
>the Bosch caps have a mark on them to indicate where the 1-3-4-2 wires
>go?

It doesn't matter as long as the firing order is 1-3-4-2. (Clockwise.)
Hmm, let me play sherlock  a minute and ask you this:
Did you change your distributor cap/rotor and then have the 3 cylinder
problem?? If so, you could of swapped a wire and this is the reason.
Check the firing order again.
HTH!!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and