Re: 7" vs 8" wheel update

At 11:40 PM -0600 05/30/1997, Alan Stamper wrote:
>Here is a follow up for all you auto-crosses following the 7" vs 8" wide
>wheel comparison on my Scirocco 2.
>
>It turns out that the answer is not as clear cut as I thought.  You may
>remeber that I had decided that the 7" wide wheel combo was faster
>combination on my car.  This is not completely true.
>
>I remounted my new (used actually) BFG's onto my old 7" wheels.  The
>result, slower than the eights with the same set of tires.  I have a few
>ideas why, maybe you guys can come up with a few helpful thoughts also.
>
>I bought these BFG's from a friend of mine.  He purchased them new 2 years
>ago and ran about 6 events on them (about 24-30 runs).  He then parked his
>car and stored the tires until I bought them.  There is very little wear on
>them and they look almost brand-new.

Uhh, they're hard.  I was under the impression that you had new R1s;).  30
runs plus 2 year storage will make them hard as rocks.

>Here is a list of ideas:
>1.  This one is pretty easy, the tires have not been shaved and are at full
>tread depth.  I can have them shaved locally for $60.

Dunno if that would bring them back.

>2.  This is the first set of BFG's I've put on the car that have had the
>"cure" for the EGOD syndrom.  They are also the first set that I have had
>that were made in the mold BFG created specifically for the 215/50/13 tire.
> The original was an 185/60/13 mold with a spacer added to the center.

They were made in 94 1/2ish or later, then.  The narrow rib 215s are just
as fast as the old ones.  The tire is hard.  I got a set of Yokohamas which
had been shaven for the 94 Nationals, 3 runs, sat for a year or so.
Rockhard.  I drove them on the street, at events, gave them to someone
else, who *finally* corded them.  Slower than death.

>At this point I'm going to try 2 things.  The first is to shave my BFG's.

Interesting.  I'd like to know how this works out.

>Second, I'm going to try some of my buddy's used Hoosier bias-plys on my 8"
>wheels.

Puke hurl yukk barf.  Those tires don't turn in for diddly.  Wenzel had
some, suckomatic.  They do stick, but are COMPLETELY different than the R1.

 These tires are 8/10" of an inch shorter in diameter than the
>BFG's.  I've calculated that it I will be reving about 4% higher at any
>given speed compared to the BFG's.  I will also have 4% less top speed in
>any gear.  As a comparison the rpm difference between a 4K tranny (in the
>car) and a 9A is 9%, with the 4k turning more RPM at speed than the 9A.
>
>Has anyone else tried this hoosier on their car?  I'm wondereing if the
>increased acceleration and almost 1/2" lower stance that these tires will
>give will make up for the speed I will loose in the top end?  Any
>alignement recommendations for the bias-plys?

The car will be quicker.  The Hoosier b/p is LIGHT.  Nylon cord with
rubber, LIGHT, like 1/2 the weight of the R1 light.  You won't notice the
loss at the top.  .5-1 degree negative camber, a little toe out.  They
don't like/need as much camber as the R1.  Turn in yesterday.  Stay WAY
ahead of those tires, wow, I don't know how people go fast on them, but
some do!   I was going to try them myself, glad I drove Wenzels car with
them.  OK, gotta run, leaving for Boston, long drive ahead.....

Mannix