Re: Help with insurance appraisal

> At 08:10 PM 5/29/97 -0400, TCame86712@aol.com wrote:
> >If it does total, you can retain the salvage. This is often what is called
> >buying your car back. You will probably have a salvaged title, but at least
> >you keep your car.
>
> They give you the salvage for free right?  After all, it the car has no
> value the carrier wouldn't feel right charging you would it?
>
> Chris

Guess again. The hulk has at least scrap metal value which the insurance will
get when they sell it. So if you want the hulk you will have to pay for it.

When my Scirocco was "totaled" by insurance it just meant that before the
accident it was worth less than what it would cost to fix it. Thus they pay
the lesser of what the car was worth (totaling it) or what the repairs will
cost, minus your deductable in either case. The adjuster tried hard to find
want ads for high valued cars similar to mine to set the value. I was paid
this amount, minus deductable, minus $200 salvage. I kept the car and title.

Bob