Engine swap

Hi guys,

I was wondering....I own a 81 Scirocco which has 300 000km when the odometer
cut out on me two months ago.  The stock engine is slowly deteriorating but
I got ahold of a 1984 or 85(I'm not sure what year it is...does that make a
difference) Scirocco with only 110 000km.  The question is should I swap the
engine.  What types of engines do these years have.  Are they any good or
should I look for something else.

Also, should I attempt to do the engine swap myself.  I have never done one
before and have very little knowledge about swaping engines.  I do have a
Bentley though.

Finally, should I replace the tranny.  What are the differences between
trannies and what should I look for.

Thanks for reading and any help will do.

Regards,

Sal

81 Scirocco
Toronto, Ontario