Re: Help with insurance appraisal

> Unfortunately, I've had a lot of experience dealing with insurance
>  companies.  Do not under any circumstances say anything to anyone from
>  her insurance company about what happened.  If they need a statement,
>  tell them you'll be happy to write one and send it to them.. DO NOT LET
>  THEM RECORD YOUR CONVERSATION.

WRONG! If you are telling the truth, you want to get your side of the story
to them and you want to make sure every detail is included and made a matter
of record. A recorded statement is just that, you telling what happened and
your side of the story made a matter of record in its entirety. This will
protect you from any worries that the insurance company will leave out
details that you feel are important.

 I don't have anything against insurance
>  adjusters, they are professionals and they're just doing their job -
>  unfortunately for you that job is to pay out as little as possible.

WRONG AGAIN! It is the legal obligation of any insurance company to pay you a
fair and reasonable figure for your damages. The days of being ripped off and
not paid for everything you legally are entitled are long gone.

  And
>  definately by all means tell your own insurance.  They can give you
>  advice and help you get a settlement from the other company (unless of
>  course the accident is your fault, but that doesn't seem to be the case
>  here.)

TRUE. As I mentioned previously in an earlier posting, this is what you pay a
premium for. Get your money's worth. You pay out money to have insurance, now
you can get something for your dollars.

>  As far as the appraiser is concerned, their only job is to value the
>  damage to your car.  It's helpful if you have a couple of written
>  estimates when they are there.  Don't show the estimates unless he
>  values the damage at less than a body shop.

More bad info. Be up front with him and he'll be fair with you.

 In my experience, insurance
>  companies seldom give you any value to work you've done on the car
>  unless it is considered an improvement.  Things like clutch, brakes,
>  tires, etc.  are considered routine maintenance to them.  But don't just
>  give in - remember they're always afraid of being sued and want to
>  settle.  It's up to you how much you want to push.

If we're talking "total loss" here, Insurance companies will pay you a fair
value for your car. It's called "Actual Cash Value," and means just that.
It's the cost you could have sold it for if you had decided to sell it before
it was damaged.You might have to help them come to that value by providing
them with anything you can find to show what you feel the car is worth. Ad's
for similar Scirocco's for sale are the best thing, coupled with any service
records you have. While it's true that these items are "maintanence items,"
it will show you take care of the car and they will value it accordingly. You
might need to show why your car is worth more than Joe Blow's ad in the local
Auto Trader or newspaper. Be reasonable and firm, but don't expect to be paid
for "sentimental value." There's no way you'd get a buyer to pay you more
because it was your baby, and the insurance company won't either. They
should, however, listen to and look at legitamate, hard facts. These amount
to 1. Local market value for Scirocco's like your's and 2. How does your car
compare to those cars in the local market.
As for that comment about suing, if they are being fair with you but you are
threatening to sue them as an attempt to get more money than you deserve
they'll be less likely to listen to what you have to say and more likely to
treat you accordingly, which will probably mean they'll give you a "Here's
what we'll pay, take it or leave it."

 BTW, did the other
>  woman get a ticket or was there a police report.  Cuz if either of these
>  is the case, you have the upper hand in case you have to sue the
>  insurance company.
>
>The police report of citation will help them establish fault. It will not,
however, give >you any leverage in this way at all.

Insurance companies are threatened with lawsuits more than you can imagine.
They really don't care if you say you'll sue them, because if they're being
fair you'll loose. Also, very few people really do sue. No attorney will take
a case that is just a property damage case, there's no money in it for them.
They are not entitled to a portion of p.d. settlements, only injury
settlements.
If someone threatens me by saying he'll sue if I don't pay him more, I
usually tell him to go for it.
Hope this all helps you. Don't get caught up in trying to make a buck, just
worry about being fairly compensated and you should be fine.

Todd