Re: TB and Manifold q's

At 01:26 PM 5/26/97 +0000, you wrote:
>I finally got the balls (and tools) to remove my throttle body and
>take a look. Boy was it covered in carbon! So I cleaned if off REAL
>good..man does it shine! and put it back on..now I have a few
>questions. Can I do anything to this to improve performance?

Other than replacing it with a larger TB, no.

>already looked pretty well aligned and smooth, the only ideas I could
>come up with is having the intake manifold (thats the big metal piece
>w/ the "16 Valve" etched in the top right?) polished smooth, it
>looked very black and rough in there. Also , I don't doubt VW
>engineering, soo....Are there any gains to modifying the throttle so
>that the 2nd (large) intake opens sooner?

You can polish the runners in the intake manifold but I dont think the
gain will be noticable. If you were to lightly extrude hone the intake
manifold then it would flow a bit better. (You dont want to make the
inside diameter larger unless your gonna make the intake ports on the
head larger to match. You can also hurt performance by opening them up
too big.)
There is a way to insert a small screw into the throttle linkage to
open the secondaries with the primaries. I dont see how there is any
gain from this other than making the drivability very poor. Theres
almost no way to feather the throttle while cruising around town, you
either on the throttle, or off. Annoying too! I think your better off
leaving the throttle linkage alone. (Of course, this makes you REALLY
want to do it now!)

>Also, any way I can clean
>out the manifold w/o removing it off the engine? liek with some sorta
>spray junk? I would really like to get that carbon out of my intake.
>
>Ryan

I bought a couple cans of "Intake Cleaner". I removed my throttle body
and sprayed the intake manifold to clean out all of the oil residue
ect. Its clean now. I didnt notice any difference in performance but
its clean.

Shawn
82` Scirocco GTi
86` Jetta GLi