Re: Rear Shock Modification

At 8:02 PM -0600 05/27/1997, Harry Ashton Jones III wrote:
>I recently saw a "trick" setup on an A1 equipped with Tokicos and I was
>wondering if anyone has ever seen this setup or used this setup.
>
>Description : Tokico Illumina (5-way) with the lower spring seat "removed"
>(I guess they used a grinder). The lower spring seat has been replaced by a
>Carrera coil-over sleeve (2.5" dia x 5") that has been fixed to the shock
>at a point about 3" lower than the stock Tokico lower spring seat. These
>custom seats are fabricated from 2 custom machined halves that bolt
>together around the shock body. No play, no slop.
>
>I measured everything and am fabricating my own lower seats for the
>coil-over sleeves. I should have the whole job finished within the week and
>should get the car lower than before and retain the 8" rear springs, as
>opposed to the 5".
>
>Anyone ever see this setup before?

Yes.  Carerra=$$$$, though.  I got Pro Shock's coilover/threaded sleeve kit
from the local circle track shop, bought some springs from a drag shop,
springs were $40 each, threaded sleeves and hardware $35 each.  Not too
bad.  8" springs will still hang free when both rear wheels are off the
ground, but if only one is off the ground, the swaybar will keep it in
place.  Slid the assembly on the Koni with no problems whatsoever.  Works
great, adjustable rear spring perches for not much money.  Fronts are
harder, you have to chop off the stock perch, weld on a retaining ring,
then it is easy.  2.5" springs are cheap, $40-70 each, in any rate you
would want.  Hope this helps, but keep in mind that Carerra and Ground
Control are synonymous with "expensive."

Mannix