Re: WHY WON'T IT START! (Update to: Help I have a weird prob

     When my distributer/HAL went I could 'occasionally' still get a spark
     when I too went through the battery of tests.  Note your symptom, you
     stated you would be driving and it would cut out so (going on the bad
     distributer assumption) this would be indication that at a given
     moment in time you have spark and the next moment you don't.

     When my 16v did what you describe mine went like this.  Out driving
     when suddenly my tach would go from 4000rmm to 0 (stall) and jump back
     alive via the momentum of the car.  It this a few times, then when to
     near impossible to start.  After confiming fuel delivery, I changed
     everything but the distributer (cap/rotor/plugs/coil/ICM).  The car
     ran for a few days, then boom.  Would not start at all.

     Replaced distributer $200.00 and presto, I have put on 7000 trouble
     free miles since.  The 16v distributers do go.  Between the HAL and
     the leaky seal which can allow oil to come up through the rotor shaft.

     -Paul
     87 Scirocco 16v (117,000 miles)
     87 Jetta GLi (97,000 miles)
     90 Audi 90 Quattro 20v (100,000 miles)