Re: brake lights

> Hi all,
>
> I'm having trouble with my brake lights not working.  I checked the fuses,
> but i haven't yet checked the switch (which is of course located
> underneath all that damn dashboard plastic).  Does anyone have any
> suggestions to what else it may be?  People are getting pissed at me b/c i
> have no brake lights.  I don't want a rear-end smear on my precious car.
> THanks in Adavance.

The last time I had a brake light failure on my '80 Mk I, it was the
electrically activated pressure switches screwed into the brake master
cylinder.  There should be two, one on either side of the master cylinder,
if I'm remembering this correctly.  I believe that you could test to see if
it was the switche(s) by disconnecting the two wires from one of them, then
tying them together with a clip, or another piece of wire or whatever.  If
your brake lights activate, the switch is bad.  Take bad part out, buy new
one, replace.  Repeat until fixed. :-)

==Brett