Re: Determining Engine Code

At 11:45 AM 5/8/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I am going to look at a 1.8 8v longblock tomorrow.  How can I determine
>what the engine code is?

Look at the letters on the side of the block above the distributor. (the
side that faces front when its in a car.) Between the #3 & #4 cylinders,
where the block meets the head you will find a data plate which will have
a 2 letter code. If its a 1.8L you will find its either the JH motor, or
it may even be a RD or HT motor.
Some other contributing identification factors can be found on the back
side of the engine (the side that faces towards the firewall) will be
marked "1.8" in fairly large letters. (The 1.7L has a letter "H" instead
of any
 number.)

>On my stock 1.6, I have looked in vain for a two-letter designation; I
>can only find numbers on the front of the block.  I am concerned that
>the engine I am going to look at tomorrow might not have such a code on
>it either.

"EJ" possibly?

HTH!

Shawn