hall sender/ICM update

OK, it seems I have stumbled into new ground for the list or nobody felt
like replying.  I did get one reply (MAINElyvw1@aol.com) unfortunatley I
already checked things.

anyway, I tested the hall sender/ICM as per my cheesy old Haynes manual.
The hall sender tested good, but the ICM failed the last two tests.  I
went to a local junkyard and got a couple ICM's and it now passes all the
ICM/hall sender tests.  This definately made a signifigant difference you
could hear a change in cranking/starting.
However it still doesnot run.  It will start up and rev up then die
immediately.  I played with the mixture but could not get any change.  I
replaced the fuel distributor and air flow plate with one from another
car hoping that the mixture would be pretty close and would start the
car.  No change.

I have not checked the compression but truly doubt that it is the
problem.  I have gotten the car started a few time and can set it to run
nicely but it will not restart, hot or cold.

One more strange thing that has now begun is the starter, or what I
believe is the starter makes a grinding noise sometimes when you let the
key back to the run position.  I believe this is due to the amount of
cranking that it has undergone lately, probably causeing the bendix to
fail.  Has anyone ever heard of the bendix staying out and not letting
the car run?  that is yes a long shot but Im running out of thoughts.

any newideas? the car starts up, revs and dies with or with out giving it
any throttle.

Thanks in advance
Kyle