Re: Miscellaneous spewings <look out!>

At 07:03 AM 5/3/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I wasn't knocking VW motors when I mentioned the possibility of a turbo'd
>Mitsubishi motor in a Scirocco.  And I thought that it might possibly be
>mounted longitudinally since there are AWD versions of the cars.  I've
>heard about these naturally aspirated 12 second watercooled VW drag cars.
>Anyone know how they build up these cars and whether they are streetable?

There are some that claim, and have 12 second normally aspirated VW's. (They
claim no NOS, but who knows for sure..) Im sure the engine is just seriously
built. Its a purpose built car, to do one thing, point and shoot. So, I doubt
its streetable at all. It sure isnt street legal, thats for sure.

>Regarding comraderie among Scirocco owners: I can't recall anyone
>waving/smiling/hi-fiving me.  Or trying to race me for that matter.  Just
>one guy in a Mustang telling me, "I hate Scirocco's, get a FORD!!!"  Little
>did he know that I just got rid of my cruddy Mustang II for the Scirocco.
>Anyway, maybe my car looks too crummy to wave to, or *gasp* could it be
>me?!  Plus, I live in L.A. where the wrong wave or look could get more than
>your airbox swiss-cheezed.  Also, I see anywhere from two to 6 or more
>Scirocco's everyday so maybe a sighting is no big deal.  Are Scirocco's
>this common in everyone else's neck o' the woods?

Well, like you said, you gotta think about where you are. I mean of all places,
LA is the one place you dont want somebody waving at you. First they wave,
"HI", then they're seeing how fast they can cap off a clip into you! "BYE".
Naw, I wouldnt sweat it. Get out of that place once in a while and visit the
world. There are some really nice people out there. Probably some of the nicest
people on the road that I have experienced were in Oklahoma. They wave at you
as they pass you while going the opposite way. I thought something was wrong
with my car. Then when I went to get gas, I went into the station and said,
"$20 on 2". She said, "Honey, you dont pay until you've pumped some gas
sweetie! Your not from around here, are you"?

So you see, your living in ahostile part of the world. You've gotta have that
"Road Warrior" mentality to survive there anyways. Dont expect a wave, from
anybody but the 1 finger salute (your number one!!) or the CHP "waving" for you
to pull over!

 Mike gave me a good lesson in driving on LA freeways and lane changes. He
said, "you just gotta go for it, dont signal, dont look, just put your foot on
the gas and friggin' go! Dont give them time to block you in, they'll do it
everytime they can".  Whaddya know.... it works!

>When did this anti-Honda stuff start?  Did it start with the original
>Civic?  CRX?  The last generation Civic coupe?  I see plenty of "roller
>skate" Sentra's and Tercel's but they don't seem to attract the collective
>VW ire.

I've seen my first roller skate Jetta today! it was maroon with silver tape
over the wheel arches. it had the chrome spoke wheels (Whats up with that?) and
get this, DINGLE BALLS hanging from the headliner all the way around the
interior! The driver was a hispanic male, so maybe its a ethnic thing or a gang
thing? Some things appeal to certain people. It doesnt appeal to me, but he
sure looked proud to be in that Jetta!

>And while I'm making myself unpopular, may I suggest Sport Compact Car as a
>worthy read?

Its one of my favorites, right next to Grassroots Motorsports mag! I also like
to read EC (naturally, but only when they have something worthy of mt taking it
into my Library for some timely research!) and "Turbo & Hi Tech performance"
mag. They do tend to cover Turbo's (Duh!) but also have some good reads on many
other make and models performance options. There even was an article on a Turbo
Scirocco in Hawaii, which I later found out was now in CA and was not nothing
like what the article said it was....

>Sure, most of the focus is on Japanese cars but...

I like that aspect. I really enjoy reading what kind of mods they're doing on
Hondas to get that kind of performance. I dont ever want a Honda, I kinda got
this love affair with VW's right now, but I do like to keep up on whats going
on in their camp. Its my dream one day to build a drag racing VW Scirocco that
will kick the shit outta any Honda. (Only because the drag racing scene is
completely dominated with Hondas. Id like to rock the Import Drag Racing world
with a MK-I Scirocco!

(Like I said, its a dream.......)

>  A sorta disturbing trend I've noticed is that I'm seeing less and
>less relevant VW stuff in EC and seeing more in SCC.  Oh well.

Your not the only one bro! Sadly, its getting pretty weak from the desk of EC.
I wish they would pull their heads out of Neuspeed bunghole and start writing
some really serious VW articles. The June issue ("Volkswagen Power Unleased")
was one for the funny pages. For example, the cover is of a GTi Cup Pacecar.
Whoop-de-friggin'-do! I can expect to see top speeds of, oh, 60 mph on the
racetrack? I bet it handles those race cars just dandy! Oh, its got ugly
headlight covers too!  (pick-pick)

Next, is the A1 Rabbit G60. Nice pictures, i'll give them that. What buggs me
was his babble about how the car drives and sounds and goes into the mods.
Then, at the end he says how he asked for the keys even tho its unfinished??
WTF?? WelI, I expect that from EC nowadays.

And my last pick-pick-pick will be the biggest of all. in the top right hand
corner is a picture of an A3 GTi with a VR6 Turbo giving an amazing 350+ HP.
Upen the mag up and read how the 350HP isnt on that car, no, its on a Corrado!
The white car HAS a VR6 Turbo, but it doesnt have that much HP.
Then I learn, thru sources that the Corrado was to be on the cover of the mag.
Mr Neumann throws a fit and demands that EC change the cover or hes gonna yank
his Neuspeed ads. So, they do. Wussies!!!!

Shawn
<Smoking!! Heh-heh!!>