Re: Steering rack WAS Re: Springs go BONG!

At 10:47 5/2/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Practically the only thing that remains underneath that I haven't touched
>is the steering rack (both my drive shafts and balljoints look ok, by the
>way). I am wondering if it is really possible for something to have
>loosened up in there and be causing this noise problem. Any ideas or
>previous experiences out there?  (the noise is quite irritating and
>embarrassing, by the way, especially in the summer when my windows are
>rolled down and I can hear it so well...)
>

>Ilias

Go to your VW dealer, and ask if you can borrow one of their lifts for a bit.
They will usually let you if you are a customer and catch them on a slow day.

Go under the car with a small prybar and try to move the rack and tierods, etc.
If anything is loose, you ought to be able to find it. If you can get the car
up with the wheels hanging free, you can wiggle almost any part of the
undercarriage...

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco