RE: 88 16 vs. 87 16V (i.e. where was my VW manufactured?)

Hello all....

For those that may not have seen it, Greg's Scirocco Enthusiast Page has a through listing of VW VIN systems. You can find how to decode many VW VINs at:
http://members.iglou.com/scirocco/vininfo.htm

1981 and newer models have a 17 digit VIN in which the 11th digit specifys the manufacturing plant. My '87 16V has a K in this postion......the code for the Osnabržek plant. The plant is in northwestern Germany, at about the same latitude as Berlin.

Apparently the VINs for european passenger cars begin with the 3 digit code: WVW. Gregs information suggests that a car produced in Mexico would have a VIN beginning with the code 3VW. These cars can be further identified by the manufacturing plant identification. M is the code for vehicles manufactured in Mexico.

If you are interested, a site with more information on Osnabruek is at:
http://www.city.net/countries/germany/osnabrueck/#general_information

HTH,
Lee