Rice Burners

I.Mannix wrote:

> >>Shawn C. Meze,trnsfrma@ix.netcom.com,Internet writes:
> >>I still dont understand this blatent hatred of Hondas that alot of VW owners
> >>have? Ah well.....
> >>
> >>Hondas seem to attract a more image conscious, cosmopolitan,
> >>looks-are-more-important-than-what's-underneath type.  Volkswagen owners are
> >>much more prone to technical discussions; head swapping, turbocharging,
> >>intake and exhaust mods, and all that good shade-tree mechanic stuff.
> >
> >Because we can't go out and buy a vtec engine that goes fast enough as it
> >is?  I mean, let's face it - VWs are slow.  Yes they are.  Even the 16v.
> >SLOW.  Especially the Rabbit and its early A1 counterparts.  I mean, they
> >were OK in their day, but even then, the Rabbit GTI/Scirocco were nothing
> >but pleasurable economy cars that were fun to drive - the GTI has never
> >been considered a "fast" car.  Prelude VTEC?  They're pretty quick out of
> >the box.  Sure, the VR6 is fast, but the numbers don't line up right with
> >the performance, IMHO.
> >

> >  All I
> >>ever hear from the Honda crowds are discussions about cool looking skirt
> >>kits, mufflers with 1.75" intake pipe and 4" output pipe, and blacklights
> >>under the rocker panels.  I suppose there is a diehard crowd out there that
> >>actually do work on the cars, but i think it's much smaller than the
> >>Volkswagen following.
> >
> >Working on one's car does not imply superiority.  I don't like the dopey
> >tuba tips and stupid low Hondas (although I do like Hondas as cars).  I
> >don't see the connection between working on your car and hating Honda
> >owners.  That was the question, right?  Shawn asked about the "blatent
> >hatred" VW owners have toward Hondas.  I think it is just great that you
> >work on your car, but I fail to see why your perception of the amount of
> >work Honda owners put into their car should affect whether VW owners
> >"hate" Honda owners.
> >

> >Could the real reason be lack of maturity??
> >
> >Ok, so I've probably rubbed a few of you the wrong way.  Cool.  Here's my
> >take, Tudor style.
> >
> >Ryan is putting what I feel to be a dumb looking and function free kit on
> >his car, which to me, is about as valuable as a big wing, tubatip, and
> >neon lighting.  I don't hate Ryan for this.  It is his car, and if it
> >floats his boat, cool!  Excellent.  I'm sorta obsessed with the Solo
> >thing, I am slowly realizing that not everyone wants to have a stupidly
> >stiff econobox with a loud exhaust, and Ryan must know that not everyone
> >is into garish body kits.  Nothing personal, I do my thing, he does his,
> >and if I ever have a body question, I'llm probably ask him first.
> >
> >On the econobox note - I think it is cool that we drive what I consider to
> >be slow cars (OK, the 2.016v is reasonably quick, but not FAST.  Camaros
> >are fast.  Mustangs are fast.  VWs are quick.), so, I think it is cool
> >that we have slow cars which are capable of a lot more than most will give
> [...]

In my humble backwoods opinion (2 miles to the nearest house) i think
that there isnt a blatent hatred present just a difference of attitudes.
I have a friend who had his perfectly good Cabriolet slammed to the
ground and had the tiny wheels on, so what. In my expierence the people
who do these "silly" things to hondas and the like are just different,
its a different attitude than vee dub owners have. I went through the
change a year ago when i purchased my 16volt.i even had an accord picked
out and my cutting torch ready to drop it, but when i drove my friends
cabrilet first time and we hit a pop can and drug it for probably 2
miles my opinion changed. well im done talking myself in circles so one
last thought "why cant we all just get along"

shannon