Re: Fuel pump relay under dash

<< Speaking about fuel pump relays: I thought over the safety aspect and I
 came up with an idea ;)  How about having the relay in with the bypass?  >>

Saw your inquires about a switch for the fuel pump relay.  Years ago I lead
two wires out of my fuel pump relay.  These two wires were soldered to the
PCB circuit which basically jumps the power straight to the pump circuit.  I
ran the two wires to a discreet switch.  This circuit was devised to bypass
the relay because I had intermittent failures of the relay(The contacts in
the relay frequently carbonized and became an open circuit, i.e. no fuel).  I
now use this switch to pre-pressurize the fuel system before starting to
reduce starter wear.  Although I used a single throw switch, you can
substitute a single throw momentary switch to insure the circuit is only
manually energized while holding the switch.  You can figure out the circuits
to tap off of from the Bentley manual.  Then you just have to pry open the
relay case and do the solder thing.

The "impact switch" which has been spoken of, is real.  My company uses Ford
Taurus' and this switch is located in the passenger side rear fender.  I know
it works because a driver had experienced it, and all that was needed was to
reset this switch to be able to drive away.  I think most Ford models use it
now days.

My opinion would be to leave the original VW circuits alone and add in the
momentary switch though the relay.  This keeps the somtimes frail harness
wiring intact.

Good Luck.
SailingFC@aol.com
'78 Scirocco, original owner.