Fuba Installation again

The headliner is different on a GTI and a Scirocco. There are different
types of GTI headliners too. I recomend you go to a junk yard and look at a
car that is like the one you have. You may need to pop out a rear window.
If you have a US black cloth headliner it will fall down soon.

Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco
88 16v GTI
*****************************
This is directed to the 8V guys who have switched to a roof-mounted
antenna. I am planning to get that Fuba thingie and I have some questions:

* even though the Fuba has the amplifier, some people say that it is
actually less effective in reception than normal, long antennas, simply
because of its tiny length. True? No?

* how tough was it to get by the headliner? It looks like it is very easy
to get underneath the headliner close to the door: you just slide the
black thingie out of the car frame and the edge of the headliner is
exposed. The tricky part seems to be close to the hole on the roof: the
headliner there is snug underneath the rear-windshield rubber and doesn't
look that trivial to get out and in again. How have you guys routed the
antenna wire from the side of the car to the hole on the roof?

* does the Fuba kit come with absolutely all necessary items? Who sells
them for cheap?

* where do I get the cap to cover my driver side fender hole? Dealer?

Thanks a bunch,

Ilias
*********************
You can get the cap to plug the hole in the fender at Westcoast
Metric. It is item #443-9900, it costs $1.40.

                                        Ryan
                                        85 Scirocco Wolfsburg edition
*************************
I did the conversion 10 years ago on an older VW Fox . Make sure it dosen't
LEAK!!!! I used RTV and it still leaked.

Q .How tough was it to get by the headliner?
A. The head liner was a hastle. 7 on a scale of 1-10. I have few tips for
you. I ran it up the "A" pillar and back to the window and the over to
center. Then reassemble the ******* thing. GO to a junk yard and do it on a
junk car first. Do not run it up the "A" pil;lar on a Scirocco. Go up the
"B" pillar.

Q. where do I get the cap to cover my driver side fender hole? Dealer?
A. My car came with it. It had no radio when it was new.

Q. does the Fuba kit come with absolutely all necessary items? Who sells
 them for cheap?
A. Mine did. I had to buy a drill bit. I used a small  hole saw. RTV.  Look
in E.C. for price.

Q. some people say that it is actually less effective in reception than
normal.
A. It works ok. The advantage is the location( at the back) as far away
from the coil.

 Good luck.
Doug 16v silver Scirocco.
**************************
> Make sure it dosen't
> LEAK!!!! I used RTV and it still leaked.
>
> Q .How tough was it to get by the headliner?
> A. The head liner was a hastle. 7 on a scale of 1-10. I have few tips for
> you. I ran it up the "A" pillar and back to the window and the over to
> center. Then reassemble the ******* thing. GO to a junk yard and do it on
> junk car first.

It really is not that hard of a job.  Pull the passengers side rear
quarter window,  peal the headliner away from the window frame part of
the car, lower the headliner, drill and mount as the
directions with the antenna instuct, run the wire down the passenger side
B-pillar and under the carpet to the front, and reassemble.

I just follwed the directions that came with my antenna, used the sealant
stuff that came with it, and I've had -zero- leakage.

Just be patient, read the instructions, measure and mark where to drill
carefully, and enjoy the experience.   That or you could pay a shop way
too much to do it who most likely is not any  more competent than you. I
had a friend who paid someone to do it and the fool managed to put a hole
in the A-pillar running the wire...

Good luck!

Greg Davis
1985 Scirocco
Member Cincinnati Volkswagen Club
"GAK Motorsports.....Your source for European License Plates!"
http://members.iglou.com/scirocco  (Watch for coming changes and new
                                     products too!)
******************************
>It really is not that hard of a job.>

It took me about 2.5 hours to do the job. It looked great when it was over.
You are correct it is not that hard. Wash your hands to keep the headliner
clean.
I wished I had stripped a junker first.

> I've had -zero- leakage. >

How long has it been up there?
Mine started to leak after 6 years. It stopped after 8 years. Sold it after
9 years.
I painted the edge of the sheet metal  ( in the new drilled hole) to
prevent rust.
It worked, I recomend it.

My other two 16v's (GTI & Scirocco) have not leaked as far as I know.

Doug
16v Silver Scirocco.
*****************************
Another question concerning the Fuba, do they make a CB Radio compatible
model? Sure would like to avoid putting an ugly CB antenna on the Scirocco.

Has anyone out there used a Fuba with a CB?

Harry
********************************
Harry the fuba is way to short for the CB waves, I suggest get Radio Shacks
book about antennas thats how i figured it out. The length of the antenna
and
coil are important to its performance and i definatly suggest getting the
antenna to CB matched so you don't fry your CB. I made that mistake
already.

Steve Toughill
MAINElyVW1@aol.com
Mainely Metric
84 Scirocco GTX
88 Fox
****************************
> actually less effective in reception than normal, long antennas, simply
> because of its tiny length. True? No?

I haven't found it to be a problem as long as it is grounded good when
mounted this means you have to see bear metal on the under side of the
roof.

> * how tough was it to get by the headliner? It looks like it is very easy

> to get underneath the headliner close to the door: you just slide the
> black thingie out of the car frame and the edge of the headliner is
> exposed. The tricky part seems to be close to the hole on the roof: the
> headliner there is snug underneath the rear-windshield rubber and doesn't

> look that trivial to get out and in again. How have you guys routed the
> antenna wire from the side of the car to the hole on the roof?

The first thing to do is open the hatch, and pull the seal. Peel the
headliner back and it will drape down. The drilling is easy especially now
since now you won't drill through the headliner. I put the wire in the
factory location. Over to the right c pillar down to ware the rear washer
resivor is the up front behine the rear quarter panel, then behind the rear
right door panel, under the back seat bottom and up the center of the floor
to the radio.

> * does the Fuba kit come with absolutely all necessary items? Who sells
> them for cheap?

I don't know if it comes with everything mine was out of a 16V scirocco
wreck.

> * where do I get the cap to cover my driver side fender hole? Dealer?

Yes you can get the cap from the dealer.

 Thanks a bunch,

 Ilias
***********************************
In a message dated 97-03-17 09:01:34 EST, haj@tenet.edu (Harry Jones WISD)
 Another question concerning the Fuba, do they make a CB Radio compatible
 model? Sure would like to avoid putting an ugly CB antenna on the
Scirocco.

 Has anyone out there used a Fuba with a CB?

 Harry

Harry the fuba is way to short for the CB waves, I suggest get Radio Shacks
book about antennas thats how i figured it out. The length of the antenna
and
coil are important to its performance and i definatly suggest getting the
antenna to CB matched so you don't fry your CB. I made that mistake
already.

Steve Toughill
MAINElyVW1@aol.com
Mainely Metric
84 Scirocco GTX
88 Fox
**********************
Hey,

I just installed my Fuba antenna.  I came with all the necessary hardware
minus a drill bit.  It was very easy to install, just make sure you get it
centered.  The antenna cable was not long enough to reach my stereo,  I had
to but an two foot extension from Radio shack   $2.00.  I have no headliner
in my car cuz' it's slowly being redone.  I think it would be easier to
remove the top of the hatchback seal and pull the headliner back from
there.

As for reception, Ilive of the east side of the Oregon Cascade mountain.
If
you want any acceptable radio station it has to come from Medford Oregon,
80
miles on the west side of the cascades.  reception is perfect!!!!!!!!!!

hope this helps.

Dave   alias HOT GTX

85 SCIROCCO