Re: rotors

>Hello to all:
>This is my first time posting to the list. I'm very new at working on
>cars so please bear with me.
>I just got an 88 Scirocco 16V and I've decided to upgrade the rotors to
>cross drilled Brembos 10.1".  I was wondering if it is possible to
>remove the caliper from the rotor without having to disconnect the brake
>line?  And also if you can replace the brake pads as well?

Disconnecting the brake line from the caliper to change rotors is not
necessary.  Just remove the bolts holding the caliper to the carrier, hang
the caliper from the spring or something, R&R rotor, put caliper back on.
Simple.

>The Rapid Parts tech video shows them disconnecting the brake lines and
>bleeding them, but the Bentley book doesn't mention disconnecting the
>line.  Bentley recommends suspending the caliper with a strong wire as
>to not stretch the hose while changing the rotors.

Right.

>What should I do?

Save your money and get Ferodo pads, IMHO.

>Should I bleed all four calipers to be safe?

Not a bad idea, but not necessary if the fluid is recent - there is no good
reason to bleed *because* of a rotor change, but if it has not been done in
a while (more than a year), it is a good idea, just for preventative
maintenance.

>Or is this job easily done without having to disconnect the lines.

Yes, be careful not to strip the screw that holds the rotor on the hub.
Easy enough to drill out if you do.  BTW, that screw is not needed - I hate
them, because they often won't come out.  They sometimes make wheel changes
a bit of a pain, because without them the rotor can turn while you are
putting the wheel on.  If you decide to reuse them, use antisieze.

>Thanks in advance,
>Brian
>
>P.S. Does anyone have the Brembo rotors?  How do you like them?

Brembo are of good quality, so cracking should'nt be a problem.
Drilled(cheap) rotors are known to crack.  I don't know about the Brembos,
if I were to get some, I'd look to them first.   IMHO, if you are
experiencing brake fade, try Ferodo pads and Castrol GTLMA fluid first - I
use this on my autocross car, stock 84 GTI brakes otherwise, no fade, good
pedal, plenty of power.  I was impressed with this combination, and at
Trials events in particular, the fade I used to have to drive around is
gone.  I have no desire/perceived need to do anything to my brakes.  9.4"
vented rotors.

If it is the look you're after, go for it.  If your fluid is watery,
braking will not improve significantly, it will simply boil later;).
Dunno, I just think there are better ways to spend money for performance.
IMHO, YMMV, etc.  Best of luck!

Mannix