Re: Fuel pump relay under dash

<< Hey all:

 On my 80 sometimes the fuel pump relay in the box under the dash has to
 be moved around a bit to crank the car.  It is a replacement relay
 already.  Question:  how much of a pain to fix the socket it plugs into,
 or can that be done?  Can you just go in and rough it up a bit with
 sandpaper?  (I was actually hoping my days of standing on my head in
 that particular car were over with ;) )  I had no problem moving the
 relay a bit to crank it, but the replacement driver has difficulty
 sometimes, and calls me to come start the car, which can be
 inconvenient.

 Kinda hoping a few more hours of inconvenience in one block will take
 care of it....

 gdHouston >>

On my '78 there was a factory recall for relocating the fuel pump relay.  The
circuit that was chosen for power was inadequate and the recall moved the
relay to a piggyback relay and a new power circuit.  Don't know if this
applies to you but you can ask.  If it is a weak power circuit, you will see
it from the back of the fuse block panel by the overheated(charred) wire
running into the back of the relay socket.  The dealer may have info on the
recall even if they don't do the recall anymore.

Good Luck.
SailingFC@aol.com
'78 Scirocco, original owner.