Gauges

Gauges again!?!  :)  I just got a set of gauges out of an '82 which had
them as factory option, as far as the installation, look, and I can
tell.  It had the Oil temp. in its regular place plus three more in a
bracket at the bottom of the center console taking up the space of that
little nook at the bottom of the console.
	The questions: 1. Is it better  (more accurate reading) to connect the
volt gauge directly to the positive and negative ends of the battery.
Or simply connect it like another accessory?
		       2. How do you connect the Amp gauge, I know it has to be inline
with the positive wires coming out of the alternator, but do I have to
run wires into the car or can I connect them somewhere inside?  By the
size of the posts on the gauge it looks like really thick wire has to be
used.  No doubt because the charging will actually pass through the
gauge. Thanks for any help.
	Andy