Re: Euro Bumpers!

>        Euro bumpers DO give protection in a collision.  After all, they
>work fine for the non-US world.  The reason the US bumpers are so huge is
>to meet the Fed's 5mph collision requirement (which is meant to keep insurance
>claims down).  Think about it...how many times have you ever been hit or
>hit something???  When was the last time you hit a wall at 5mph?  The fact
>is, if you're a good driver i.e. AWARE, you shouldn't have any problems.

  Yes Euro bumpers give some protection in a collision, but obviously not
as much as US bumpers. How many times have I been hit? A few, including a
solid bumper hit while my car was parked. It was loud enough for me to hear
it inside my house, but resulted in very minor damage, mainly to the
bumper.

  How many times have I hit people? On accident? Once. On purpose? A few.
Thats what I like about big bumpers. If someone starts acting like a
complete ass, I can match them, action for assinine action:). I feel much
better brake checking tailgaters than I would if I had spent several
hundred dollars to DECREASE the effectiveness of my bumpers.
  As far as assuming you'll be able to avoid ALL collisions, you're
starting to show that you've only been driving three years.. I used to
think I could too, but over the 9 years I've been driving, I've seen a few
accidents(and been in my first and only while driving my car just last
year) that were unavoidable.  Give yourself some time, you'll see some
unavoidable accidents sooner or later.

>        I remember reading on this list a few months ago about a guy who
>removed the metal US bumpers and only used a few metal supports to keep
>the hollow plastic shell on.  It worked fine for him.

  Had he gotten into an accident? No bumpers at all will work great until
you get hit...