Re: Bumpers, related

At 12:22 PM 3/20/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello I Mannix and the list,
>
>	On the subject of bumpers, I had someone bump me
>from behind at a stop light. Turns out this guy had no
>insurance and his drive's license was already suspended. Now
>the police cannot track him down.
>I removed the plastic attachments to the bumper and looked
>for damage. It looks like the something in the right took
>the impact and either compressed on sunk in. I don't know
>yet.
>The bumper is kind of stuck in this position. Do I need a
>lot force to get it out? Or should I just take it to a
>mechanic and have him see that.
>
>They are the stock bumpers of course and the car in an 87
>16V.

Sounds like your bumper shock is compressed. From what I could learn
about these items is that they are a one time use item. Theyre made to
take the impact and since most impacts can be hard enough to do more
damage than will be avoided with the bumper shocks, thats the reasoning
behind it. (Kinda lame, but i've been told this by two different
"pro's")
I know one person who is accident prone with her Rabbit and has been in
at least 4 accidents where the bumpers returned to the normal position.
Maybe it could be the odd angle of your accident that has left your
bumper in this position?

You can either go down to your local junk yard and buy a replacement
bumper shock, or try the old shadetree method of chaining your bumper
to a sizeable tree on a slight incline and let the weight of the car
roll back and pull out the stuck bumper shock. Be carefull that you
dont pull completely apart the bumper shocks, it's easy to do. I niebor
of mine tried to tow his 84 Jetta by the front bumper and discovered
this. (Kinda funny seeing a mobil home towing a bumper!)
Good luck!

Shawn