Re: 18g wire good enough?

On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, Brad Sheridan wrote:

> Yup. I wired in some elec. gauges, with 18G for power, ground, and also the
> signal. If you haven't already thought of this, you might want to consider
> getting the power and ground for the backlight from the power and ground of
> your one stock gauges light. This should make it so that your new gauges
> dim with the dimmer also. When doing wiring, always solder connections, and
> use shrinktube to cover them. This help prevent any nasty underdash shorts
> and subsequent fires.

Of course, Brad's suggestion is the proper one, but for those who don't
have solder-action close to their car, I can tell you that --for example,
when connecting the new gauge lights to the existing one-- exposing part
of the old wire, wrapping the end of the new wire 3-4 times around it
tightly, and covering the exposed part with el. tape works just fine.

Ilias