Re: Euro Bumpers!

At 11:02 AM 3/19/97 -0800, you wrote:
>This is for everyone,
>
>What are the differences between Euro and U.S. bumpers.  I personally
>wouldn't know a Eurobumper if it was right in front of me.  I don't
>think I've ever seen a pair (wouldn't know if I did).  I can guess that
>they look different, but what makes them so attractive to everyone, it
>seems like everybody and their brother wants Euro bumpers.  Somebody,
>please clue me in.
>
>John
>80 Scirocco S

I guess the biggest atractive feature of the euro bumpers is the way they
look on the car. IMHO, they transform the was a Scirocco looks with these
bumpers. (No Pun) Stock bumpers stick out very far, basically look like
they were an afterthought from the design department. The stock bumpers
are also much heavier than the Euro. Being heavier, they offer much more
impact protection. I think that if you have ever seen a VW Bug with the
little "T" Nerf bars that replace the bumpers, the Euro bumpers have about
as much functionability as those. (Almost no function in an impact) Thats
something any owner needs to consider before hunting down a set of em'. I
fully understand this risk in using them on my car. The gain in looks and
weight savings greatly outweighs the risk, for me at least. YMMV.

Shawn