transfer pump - cleared up

Thank you all who replied.

My car is an '88, so by your comments I will assume it has a transfer pump.

I have removed the cover plate (under the seat with the three screws). Now
is the spot where my problem starts. Under the cover plate there is a round
plate (about 3.5in. diam.) from which two hoses and three wires sprout.

Should this smaller plate unscrew?  There are four notches around the edge
of the disk that look like good places to bang on with a hammer/screwdriver
setup.  Is that the case?  I taped on it lightly, but it didnt seem to move
bigger hammer?

PS
It has a full tank of gas, and the "main pump" makes noise when the pump
relay is jumped.