Re: New (used) Scirocco...

On 14 Mar 1997 00:43:29 GMT tudor@tvo.org wrote:

> Hi!  I'm a newcomer to this group, as I bought my first Scirocco this
> afternoon.  It is replacing my 90 Golf Diesel, which was faithful for
> 350,000km.  After two accidents, several trips across the country, a family
> of 4, and some very hard country-road driving, it's finally packed in.  (and
> if anyone's interested in the car and lives in Southern Ontario, I'm looking
> for a prospective buyer...)
>
> Anyways, I picked up my '86 Scirocco to take its place.  The car is a
> one-owner machine that was well maintained throughout its 180,000km life.
> It's got the 8 valve engine, lots of power toys, sunroof, no air conditioning
> (which just clutteres the engine bay anyways), and a bit of rust around the
> edges which will be fixed this spring when the salt is gone.
>
> My first question for you all is this: the silvering on the exterior mirrors
> is quite deteriorated.  The mirrors from Volkswagen are $107 each.  I can't
> just put a piece of mirror in there, as there's no way to fasten it (and the
> mirrors wouldn't be heated, either).  Is there an aftermarket supply for
> these, or does anyone have a good set of mirror glass that they would like to
> sell?

I got mine from a junk yard from an old Audi 4000.  The Scirocco mirrors are on these as well as Quantums so find a local
yard and if you're lucky you'll get a decent set.  I took me a lot of tries.  I think you could take off the old glass and get a
glass shop to cut you a new mirror and then stick that on.  Good luck,

Josh Clark
Visit EXC's Performance Website at:
http://idt.net/~exc
(201) 726 0507

-We specialize in specialty European parts and
-wheels for VW's