Re: Mk1 better than Mk2?

At 04:44 PM 3/12/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Heyzall:
>
>        The recent exchange between Mike and Shawn reminded me of something
>I've been wondering about for a long time.  Namely, is the Mk.1 faster (on
>the street, track, strip) than a comparable Mk.2 since it's lighter?

Now this is highly debatable since I dont feel there is a clearcut winner.
They are both the same, and both different in their own ways with their own
unique advantages. Picking one over the other and saying "BETTER" just cant
be dont. (Im sure there are those here who can and will say this. Can you
say, "spite"?)

There was an article in EC involving a couple GTi's. If memory servres me
correctly, they were an (A1) 84' Rabbit GTi and an (A2) 86' Golf GTi and
they were identically prepared and raced. The whole idea was to see which
one was better. They concluded that in some racing situations or courses,
the Rabbit was faster and vice-verse.

The advantages of the MK-I is clearly the weight advantage. Although the
wheelbase is the same, the MK-I is also shorter than the MK-II. (We sat my
MK-II next to Mikes MK-I and compared johnsons one night in his shop.)
The MK-I's clear disadvantages are the lack of a powerful engine. Not that
the Scirocco ever really got one period, excluding the 16V. (For this
comparison, Im choosing to use the 8V since the MK-I never came with the 16V
 in production form.)

>Do aerodynamics come into play (presumably better on the Mk.2).  I know
>that they are both A1 cars but does that mean that the chassis (whatever
>that means in a unit body) are identical?

I think IMHO, IMEO, IMDAO, whatever you like it to be, since both cars have
such low HP and Torque, aerodynamics doesnt play any important feature in
this discussion. Naturally, im talking about stock MK-I and MK-II
Scirocco's. Then again, there is that 120 mph aerodynamic barrier i've heard
little about with the VW's. I dunno.

Even the wheelbase?

Same

>Center of gravity?

Same, same.

>        I've gotten the impression that the Mk.2's are only about 200lbs
>heavier but the car looks much bigger and is plusher.  Is the weight
>difference really this small?

Mikes 80 Scirocco (SM) weighed in at 1,980 lbs with a full tank of fuel
spare tire and his wide load in the car. :)
 We have guessed that my Scirocco, with A/C and all, weighs @ 2,200 lbs.
Weight is always the key factor in any form of comparison. Whether it be
performance applications or just daily driving. From your question, id say
that the difference is just a bit more than 200lbs.

>   Do the two cars run in the same class in autox, hillclimb, etc?

In autoX, they can. from the basic stock class (ES) to DSP and up. (The 16V
Scirocco moves to CSP which is a class that isnt competative for the 16V
Scirocco.) (Oh, unless nobody runs CSP of course!)

>Where can I get more info about SCCA racing so I have a better idea about
>the different classes that people mention when talking about their cars.

Come to one of our races! Its always the best way to learn.

>When and where can I check out autox events in the Pasadena (Los Angeles)
>area?

Sadly, there are none in the Pasadana area. (Although its rumored the
Potterman is working on getting the Aneheim Staduim parking lot for an
autox. ) The closest events to you are Norton AFB and at the San Diego
Staduim.

Were getting quite the crowd there these days from this list and from the
net. Come on down!

>Have all you racers gone to driving school or learn on your own?

I've been to 2 of the local schools. Its amazing how much you can learn from
one. It only cost something like $25 to participate. (Which is the same cost
to race) You get lots of track time and basically learn a years worth of
autoxing in one day.

>Do I win the most questions in one post trophy?  Thanks all, benton--

Thats all you could come up with on questions?? Oh Benton, you let me down

Shawn
(Gonna kick the Pottermans butt on saturday........)
(he thinks hes "all that" just cuz hes got 145 hp and old Yoko's....)
( Yeah? well I got BFG R1's and a CD player!!!!SUCKA!!!!)