Mk1 better than Mk2?

Heyzall:

        The recent exchange between Mike and Shawn reminded me of something
I've been wondering about for a long time.  Namely, is the Mk.1 faster (on
the street, track, strip) than a comparable Mk.2 since it's lighter?  Do
aerodynamics come into play (presumably better on the Mk.2).  I know that
they are both A1 cars but does that mean that the chassis (whatever that
means in a unit body) are identical?  Even the wheelbase?  Center of
gravity?
        I've gotten the impression that the Mk.2's are only about 200lbs
heavier but the car looks much bigger and is plusher.  Is the weight
difference really this small?
        Do the two cars run in the same class in autox, hillclimb, etc?
Where can I get more info about SCCA racing so I have a better idea about
the different classes that people mention when talking about their cars.
When and where can I check out autox events in the Pasadena (Los Angeles)
area?  Have all you racers gone to driving school or learn on your own?  Do
I win the most questions in one post trophy?  Thanks all, benton-------

YbOeSnHtIoDnA