Re: Cooling System Problem

>In a message dated 97-03-11 15:30:23 EST, sheridan@vanceandhines.com (Brad
>Sheridan) writes:
>
><<   Another thing I've had cause overheating probs before is the cap on the
> overflow tank. Its a pressure cap, but if it goes bad, and doesn't open,
> you get too much pressure in your system, and it overheats rapidly.
>  >>

>A faulty cap that doesnt open will cause a hose to explode because of the
>pressure, not make the car overheat.  Pressure helps to raise the boiling
>point of the coolant.  If the cap was stuck open (no pressure) I guess it
>could overheat then, but I have never seen that.

  That makes more sense now that I think about it, but I'm almost positive
the mechanic I talked to about it said it was overpressure that cause the
overheat. Anyhow, pressure cap failure does happen on occasion, I'm pretty
sure theres even mention of it in the Bentley as a possible overheat cause,
as well as there being info on the test procedure for these. I do know it
cause severe overheating on my previous scirocco. It would go from being
cool to dangerously hot in a few minutes.The cap was all I changed to fix
the problem, because everything else in the cooling system was fairly new
or had been tested OK.

Brad