Re: Independant Rear suspension...?

>Anyone ever thought of this?  How many millions of dollars might this cost?

Probably not *too* much, but why?  Not trying to be a jerk, but really, VWs
do handle pretty well with the current setup.  I mean, if you want to do it
simply to have done it, great!  If you are trying to make the car handle
better, I'd think there would be more performance to be found in the front
suspension, making that a double wishbone in order to get better camber
control.  Dunno.  Look at Hondas front suspension - like them or not, they
scream, at least in autocross land, which is all handling, right?  It is.
They share a similar setup to the A1 chassis in the rear, but AFAIK, the
front suspension is considerably different.

Now, on to your question.  I guess you'd have to add reinforcements to the
body for a lower control arm, umm, who knows how much that'd cost.  I guess
that would be it in order to make a Chapman strut or whatever the
non-steering MacPherson style is called.  Not impossible, you probably
would not have to change the upper shock mounting point, but use a strut
off the front with coilovers in order to fit in the smaller rear
shocktower.  It would give you adjustable camber pretty easily.  Toe?  I
don't really know.  Hmmm, something to think about - the biggest benefit I
could see would be adjustability, as the stock configuration is really
pretty independent as it sits - even with big swaybars, my wheels are
fairly independent.  Best of luck if you try it!

Mannix