Re: What Tuner has does the BEST head work?

In a message dated 97-03-10 19:09:46 EST, wahl@brutus.columbus.sgi.com
(Edward Wahl) writes:

<< Subj:	What Tuner has does the BEST head work?
 Date:	97-03-10 19:09:46 EST
 From:	wahl@brutus.columbus.sgi.com (Edward Wahl)
 Sender:	owner-scirocco-l@mantis.privatei.com
 To:	scirocco-l@privatei.com

 I am sure LOTS of folks out there have had head work done, from the
 mild vavle adjustments and shims, to the radical shaving, porting,
polishing,
 matching, better springs, 6 angle jobs, sodium filled valves and pistons,
 ETC..  ad naseum.

 Who DID you go with and why? (reasons including classing IT, Solo-II)
 Who would you now pick because you saw XXXX's job s/he got done
 somewhere else?

 8v 16v?

 What did it run you? $$ in usdollars if possible, if not I can always
 figure it out :)

 reason: got a buddy with a stroked 2.1L with a balanced shaved tubo
 diesel crank, great exhaust and a stock head, cause he shaved the
 last head himself and set a valve into space when his timing belt
 went on the 16v, BUT he is interested in an 8v solid or hydro head
 that could rev high (solid) and handle his short block. (RPI 2.1)

 Thanks in advance

 Ed

This is a moot point because this Tuner is no longer in business, but here is
my $0.02.  I had a "Big Valve Head Package" done to my 10:1 CR, 1.8 GTI
engine back in 1986 by Drake Engineering in Irvine, CA.  I've not had a
single problem with it.  It included 42mm stainless steel sport intake and
35mm stainless steel sport exhaust valves, 3 angle seat grind, Drake port and
polish, head gasket, adjustable cam sprocket, Drake street camshaft, Super
Sport valve springs, Drake bronze valve guides, teflon P.C. seals and high
nickel alloy Drake valve seats.  I've had no detonation/ping problems, idle
is smooth in all conditions, engine pulls strong thru 6000 rpm.  When I asked
Drake what the redline for this setup was they quoted me 9000rpm.  I've never
had enough nerve to go past 8000.  I chose them because of their experience
with the Indy Car background and they started doing VW stuff when the
watercooled engines first came out.  They had built a Rabbit
project("Millionized Rabbit") which was second to none at the time.  I ended
up making a road trip to their shop and talked to the guys that would be
doing the work on my head and distributor.  Needless to say I was impressed.
 That's my story.  If I were to recommend someone today... Techtonics because
they have always been a no-nonsense tuner and they have there own flow bench
and have just been doing it so long.

Good Luck.
SailingFC@aol.com