Fwd: Weekend repairs

>In a message dated 97-03-02 23:33:31 EST, Vw16valve@aol.com >writes:

><< Subj:	Re: Weekend repairs
> Date:	97-03-02 23:33:31 EST
> From:	Vw16valve@aol.com
> Sender:	owner-scirocco-l@mantis.privatei.com
> To:	CC938999@eng.cabot.nf.ca
> CC:	scirocco-l@privatei.com

> You wrote:
> Hey there,   I am wondering how hard it was to get the shiftrod loose
> where it connects to the linkage ( engine compartment)
> I live in an area where they use salt in the winter and this looks like a
> real trouble spot for me

> Dave

> Well first, take a scratch awl or something sharp and mark a place >where
the
> shift rod meets the selector lever.  That way, you'll always know where
>you
> started from.  Then take the round bottom plastic cover from the boot >that
> protects the gearshift lever where it joins the shift rod (really greasy),
> and look up inside it.  With the car in neutral, the space between the
>very
> bottom end of the shift lever (the gearshift) and the solid piece right
next
> to it (reverse lockout) should measure 15mm.  If it doesn't, proceed with
> adjustment.  loosen the clamp at the other end of the shift rod (forward,
> toward the engine), take out the bolt, pry open the clamp a little, and
with
> a small hammer & screwdriver, tap the selector lever off of the shift rod
> (mine came out easy).  Then, what I did was take a little piece of wood
>15mm
> thick to hold the proper spacing back at the shift lever, and while holding
> it there, proceede to re-attach the selector lever at the other end, then,
> put the bolt back through the clamp, tighten it, put the plastic cover back
> on the boot, and thank the good Lord if it isn't your tranny...

> Jim
> Vw16valve@aol.com >>

Another way to get your 15mm spacer is to use a medium size binder clip.  You
know the kind that's black sping steel with the chrome flip out levers(The
ones you occasionally take home from the office).  The "hinge" width of these
clips are about 15mm.  Not exact, but much closer than you could measure
lying on your back under your car.  And a little easier than trying to cut
and sand wood.  My $.02.

Good luck to all.
SailingFC@aol.com
'78 Scirocco(Original owner)