Re: VW Special tools

At 09:30 PM 3/3/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Well, its been my experience that the clutch allignment tool helps hold the
disc
>while you bolt on the flywheel. I realize I have a little more expereince than
>some, but I was able (as recent as 2 weeks ago) to install the clutch without
>the tool. I just eyeballed the disc to the release plate dimple and there you
>go!
>
>Shawn

        I agree with Shawn.  When I put in the motor last year I didn't use
the tool and got the transmission on because I took my time and centered the
clutch disc.  Thats all you need, time.
        Now my Alfa has (get this) dual pressure plates and dual clutch
discs.  With this one it was a pain in the ass because now you have two sets
of splined clutch discs to line up with the tranny's input shaft.  But there
again I took my time and did it without the tool.  But it would have been
MUCH simpler if I had the tool.  You always don't have the tool when you
need it.  Thats why I like to buy tools when I have extra cash.  Plus the
alignment tool is cheap.  Snap-on and Craftsman are my two favorite tool
companies.  I like the feel of Snap-on tools but Craftman is easier to get
because you don't have to page the guy and wait..

        Sorry didn't mean to get into a tool tirade..

					DOM!
					1980 VW Scirocco S in DM
					1983 Alfa Romeo GTV-6
					1986 Kawasaki 600 Ninja