Re: Alarm recommendations for 16v?

At 03:39 PM 3/1/97 -0800, you wrote:

>Except for the 'wahhhh', the only difference I see is semantic.  I guess
>in this situation there's not much of a difference between the two, but I
>prefer to be optimitic.  I have to believe there IS something I can do to
>protect my car.

Well, it was a dramatization, not a good one but I think I got the point
across.
I too prefer to be optimistic otherwise I wouldnt have a car that looks like
mine does. (Looks like a potential theft candidate)

>They're good when your car is parked in your driveway at night, I guess.
>In the day, in the city, different story.

I cant believe you said that. (Poke yourself in the eyes for me, would ya?!)
Heres my bigtime experience talking now. I had a 300ZX Twin Turbo sitting in
my driveway with one of those "cant take my car" Clifford alarms installed in
it. It had the passive system so if anybody forgot, it would go on all by
itself, so the question of it being armed is out. I get home from work (This
was during Operation Desert Storm) after the 19th straight 12 hr day, and go
to bed, get up at 5:am, go out to my driveway and tried to put my key where
the door lock should of been. No car. Well, My wife must of put it in the
garage. Ok, I go look. Gone! (Thats a bloody rude awakening!)
The stole the whole car. My neibors heard not a peep from that then $1200
alarm system. The stripped it down to a shell and even took the alarm!
Like I said, if they want your car, they WILL get it.

>It is depressing, but if your car is underinsured, or you suspect the
>insurance company will fuck you around big time, it might still be worth
>it.  Plus I'd get a certain amount of satisfaction from knowing everything
>in my car will still be there.

Not everybody can afford to insure a car fully. (especially if you live in
the country of "legal insurace rape" known as California!)

I always suspect insurance companies will do that, everytime they can, as
hard as they can as often as they can. Its their life.

Well, the feeling of security is only maintained with seeing your car still
parked where you left it and untouched. I think for the moment, the best
protection there is on the market is "Lojack". Theres nothing a cop loves
more than to chase 10851 suspects. (Other than a good headshot on 211
suspects, thats another story) its even more fun for them when they know
where the car is at, roughly. Most of my cop friends tell me they have an
incredible success rate (at least in my city) of recovered vehicles with
minor damage fairly quickly after the "lojak" was innitialized. (Usually at a
minimum, just a busted ignition switch.) At least you get your car back.

I hope nobody on this list has to ever go through having a car stolen. It
sucks in a majorly bad way!

Shawn