Re: 16v has been scoped...now what?

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Ryan Schuermann wrote:

> I think it's the distributor..I see what happened,those yahoos broke
> off that lower  wire connector, As it's a clean break and I JUST

This is a good opportunity for me to vent my anger about the VAST
majority of car-repairmen out there who have absolutely no clue as to
what they should be doing. I have a dozen of horror stories to
tell, having to do with sheer stupidity and/or carelessness and/or
ignorance of people that have worked on cars, and I am sure each of you
has heard/experienced some ridiculous situations.

What is the deal here? These are supposed to be certified technicians. I
know firsthand that fixing a car is quite a simple affair (usually), as I
had never opened a hood in my life before 3 years, and now I can perform
pretty much every fix with the aid of a set of tools and a Bentley. Have
repair places become so desperate that they hire every goofy idiot who
is willing to work under greasy conditions? Don't they have some minimum
requirements, test the people they are about to hire, or have some
substantial mandatory training period?

You have to be a complete moron (or not to give a damn about the car) to
be able to perform some of the horrific "repairs" I have seen on cars. Is
there a dearth of car mechanics or what? Not to mention some ridiculous
hour-rates that they have been charging.

Ilias