Re: Emergency!!! No Brakes

At 10:02 PM 6/17/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Anyone outthere (hopefully Shawn, Potterman, or any brake buffs),
>
>My brakes on my 80 Scirocco just went and this is my only car, I need it
>for work tomorrow.  Here is the situation:
>
>Brake has felt "spongy" for quite a while, regardless of the amount of
>fluid in the system.  Tonight, they completely went, brake to the floor
>and nothing, except at the very bottom (about last 1/2 inch - and then
>very minimal, no full stopage).  I went to the store, got fluid, filled
>up the reservoir, nothing.

OK, back up, I need more info to help.
Now, the brake fluid Res was empty, right? Where did the fluid go? Did it
leak out? If so, from where. (Check each wheel for brake fluid leak. Check
the res for a leak.) If there is no leak, then you probably have a bad m
aster cylinder. If this is the case, chances are good, you will be late for
work tomorrow.
Is it possible you have a very slow leak that is undetectable and you
simply neglected the fluid levels and you sucked air into the M/C?
Brake pad wear will also lower the fluid level in the res over time. If you
havent touched the fluid since you got the car, this could have happened
also.

>My question is:  do I just need to bleed the lines (which have not been
>done for I don't know how long - I've had the car for 6 mths now)

You could try that first. But the main question you need to search out
thuroughly is where did the fluid go? If it leaked someplace, it should be
seen easily enough. look for brake fluid on the inside of the wheels. Brake
fluid leaking out of the master cylinder or even fluid leaking from the
brake lines. You gotta check it all until you find out where it went.

>will I need a new master cylinder.  If a new MC is the case, can I take
>one off of an 82 Scirocco?

I dunno about the interchangability of the different body styles. My first
instinct is yes, it should work fine but then again, I dunno for sure.
Maybe somebody with parts experience can help?? (MIKE!)

>If yes, please send help with any know how on how to complete this task.
>Thank you all,
>John
>80 Scirocco S

See above.  :)
G/L and I hope you find it soon! Sorry it took me so long to respond to
this, between spending the day cleaning screens for the t-shirts (Ya, I
wanted you guys to know about that! Its alot like cleaning dished in a very
busy restraunt! Dirty, stinky, nasty! Tomorrow I pick up the shirts!!) to
having sold my B-210 today, ive not much time for the list.
Anyways, HTH!

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi