Check your spark plugs!

Hey all!

Last weekend, my scirocco 16v had a lil' trouble.  I originally thought it
was the downpipe flexjoint because of several reasons (the weakness, my revs,
the sound it made, etc etc) but when I finally got around to inspecting it
yesterday, my whole exaust system looked fine.

So I peeked around the engine bay and found that the heat stuff on the inside
of my hood was singed in a spot.  I also had a small dent in my hood!  AND my
spark plug wire in #2 cyl. was loose.  AND the plug was totally out!

_W_T_F_!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I shot my spark plug out of my cyl head!!!!!

After inspecting the threads, it appears that it slowly backed out, and when
it was on the last thread, it shot out.  So fortunately, no threads in the
head were damaged.  Although the same plug wouldn't go back in, a brand new
one fit in just fine.  Whew!

The last time I did my plugs was this time last year (@ 4k miles ago).  And I
torqued them down to factory specs.  So apparently it backed out on its own.

Moral of the story:  Although I've never heard of this happening before, it
might not hurt to check  up on them from time to time when you're fooling
around in there.

Chris