Re: Six Speed stuff??

At 10:03 AM 6/13/97 -0400, you wrote:

>How difficult is it to install a .71 5th gear?

This is another one of those "Some special tool required" projects. You
will need the tool that removes the head bolts. (I forget the size but
its not a Torx and its not an allen either. More like a 12 point allen.
Odd.)
Step one, drain the tranny fluid!
The beauty of this project is, you dont have to remove the engine from
the car. You just lower the tranny mount down to gain access to the end
cone of the tranny. Remove it and your 5th gear is right in front of
you. R&R the gears with a few more specific instructions and your all
done. There is some measuring involved but its nothing too difficult.

>Where would i acquire one of these? New?

Neuspeed sells a kit for the gear swap. (I think in the $350 range?) It
comes with everything you need to do it. There is a bolt that is
soposed to be a "one time only" bolt.  I've been told by a very
realiable source that it can be re-used without a worry. Buying this
bolt seperate is very expensive also!

> Salvage Yard?

Sure! You can go remove a 5th gear from a "pick a part yard". Cost you
maybe $10 or so. Then its just a matter of getting the gasket from the
dealer. (about a buck.) It could be a very inexpensive and yet, highly
enjoyable mod.

The trannies that have the .71 5th gear are:
late 80 and newer FF.
FN, FH, FJ, 6G, 7A.
The code is found on the bottom of the tranny, near the bellhousing.
(bring a rag.)

>Neighbors Yard (he has an 83 gti)?  :)

Heh! Dont get caught! Just put your old gear in his tranny. Think he
will notice?? Nah!!!!

There was an article in EC a while ago about doing this swap. I believe
Rick brought it to my attention in VW Trends too! I'll see if I can
scrounge up the article if your interested.
HTH!  (as always!)

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi