Re: Six Speed stuff??

>> OK, Andre'. You have an option. You can spend a few hundred on the 5th
>> gear conversion, or spend thousands ($1000 min.) on a 6 speed. Again,
>> you're refering to the cruizing 5th gear on the freeway aspect, right?

  You don't HAVE to spend hundreds of bucks. You can get a decent fifth
gear out
of a junkyard tranny, and pay around $40 or so.

>How difficult is it to install a .71 5th gear?  Where would i acquire one
>of these? New? Salvage Yard?  Neighbors Yard (he has an 83 gti)?  :)
>Thanks for info.  Shawn, you've been a great help.  thanks!  :)

  I haven't done the conversion, but watched somebody else while they were
doing it. It didn't look that difficult.  You can access the fifth gear
through the cover on the end of the tranny, so you don't have to pull the
whole tranny. I don't have a list of which trannys have the right gears
with me, but I know there's one floating around somewhere on the web...