Re: Six Speed stuff??

At 04:45 PM 6/12/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I recently saw someone advertising, or posting, or something..
>regarding six speed trannies.
>I am out of town, and seem to be cut off from the mailing list, and
>watercooled news group.  Anyone seen this recently?

Everything ive learned about the 6 speed is basically, its alot of
money for another gear. There are 2 versions, the $2500 complete
packsge or the $1500 kit that transforms your 5 speed to a 6 speed. (so
you spend $1000 having it done? Uh, ok.)

>I'd REALLY like to add a low ratio sixth to my Jetta and my scirocco.
>these high end .80/.90s suck for long trips.  And with already 30mpg
>(modified everything!) I'd love to know what I'd get with say a
>.70 or .75 sixth....

My most humble opinion about the 6 speed is, its a trendy item. (a
novilty, a gimmic, a scheme, a ploy. )  The practicality of it just
isnt there for our under 140hp cars. Now if you have a VR6 Turbo
putting out 350+ hp, then, by all means, you might want the extra gear
for top end duty.
I've got a .71 5th gear in my Scirocco and think its great for freeway
driving. My GLi has an .89 5th gear and I hate it. As soon as I get the
gasket, and some time, im gonna swap out the .89 for my other .71 5th
gear that I have. Right now it does 4,000 at 80 mph! Thats really
annoying for me. Theres no reason you couldnt have a .71 5th gear put
in your car and get awsome economy too without spending so much money
for it.

>Ed - stuck in Wisconsin for CRAY maintnance training... Pitty him,
>he has an american rental that rolls like the pig it is :(

Poor guy, I feel for you! I do! Damn them for paying you to go through
all that training and forcing you to drive a company rental car!!  :-D

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and