Re: a/c probs (New)

At 06:39 PM 6/11/97, you wrote:
>Hello again:
>
>After being involved in an accident, (the other driver ran a stop sign) I
>can no longer open my hood. Regardless, I have a new addition to my a/c
>problems.

Push comes to shove, you can get in through the grill. If you choose not to
destroy the grill, then you can jack up the car and get at the cable from
under the car. If the hood is crushed and wont open, a prybar would be in
order. The size is up to you.

>Earlier I posted that when driving with my a/c on, and I come to a stop,
>the idle begins to fluctuate wildly. My base idle without the a/c on is 1k.
>It doesn't happen right away, but after about five minutes of driving with
>it on. At first the dile is basically unaffected.

I still have no idea what it is but the clue of it being warm and your
having problems tells me that its temp related. (Dont say "DUH" to me, im
getting to the point.) Something is either not closing, or something is not
switching on or off, ect. Get my drift? Well, before I get into this futher,
is this an 8V or 16V. (Ya, I know, memory is fading... uh, ya.)

>Now, I smell fuel through the vents when the a/c is on.It doesn't appear
>when the a/c is off. Is this car something or what?

Well, sure, its drawing the fumes into the A/C system from the engine
compartment.

>What could it be?

GAS maybe?? (I know, total smartass but hey, the door was wide open for me
on that one so I used it.)

>Does
>this help diagnose the first part of the problem?

Probably not Paul. Sounds like a completley unrelated problem but could have
been caused or made worse by the accident you had. Sounds like you may want
to fix this one first!

OK, basic mechanics 101 taught us that if you smell fuel, then fuel is
present. Since I just saw a Porsche 911 on the side of the road engulfed as
a "carbque" tonight, you really need to trace the source of the fuel leak.

I would start at the fuel distributor and work your way back to the tank. A
lit match will probably work better than you would care for so I dont advise
you use that method. Start the car and look for wet fuel lines. if the lines
are wet before you start the car, wipe them off so any new moisture will be
easily noticable.
I have has a slight fuel leak on and off since I have owned my Scirocco. The
fuel acumulator (Whatever the hell that does) leaks a little amount of fuel
out of the little #1 flat tip screw. I dunno why, but it usually stops as
soon as it starts. Good luck on your investigation!
HTH!

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi