Front Seat No Tilt

This is a real hassle...the front seats no longer tilt forward.
>From what I can see, when you lift the release, the doorside hook
holding the sear upright releases but the gearshift side ones
do not.

I think the cable releasing the hook has come off. Anyone tried
to fish for this cable and, how do you hook it back on gracefully
without cutting the vinyl backing of the seats.

Regards,

Matt