With pain in my fingers...

It is with pain in my fingers that I must tell you of my Saturday spent
removing the black decal from the side of my Scirocco.  For years I'd
been covering the scratches in that decal (you know the one, above the
Karmann badge) with a black marker (I tend to improvise) to hide the
white paint underneath, and I had speculated removing it from time to
time... but it took a discussion on this mailing list to get me out
there workin'.
	With my handy paint-remover-heat-gun-thing (hair dryer), snow scraper,
"Oops" tar/paint/etc. remover and cool, fresh fingers, I was ready to
go.  Ahh, the excitement... I could picture in my head how nice it would
look... especially after the recent removal of those side bumpers (not
by choice, by "car" accident.. never replaced).
	I heated one small section on the corner of that thing until the hair
dryer overheated and quit on me, pried up a section of the sticker with
the scraper, just enough to grab onto with the tips of my fingers and...
OOOOWWWW! THAT'S HOT!!!!... but I stayed with it, enduring the pain,
thinking, "This will be worth it!" I pulled carefully, slowly, and
before the sticker had cooled off and the piece I was holding onto had
torn away from the car, I had a piece about the size of my thumbnail...
	But by this time, the hairdryer had also cooled off... and was ready to
go once again...

	All in all it took about four hours.  Honestly, if I could have given
up, I probably would have, but it's one of those things that once
started, must be seen through... And it does look great. I replaced the
Karmann badge (because I like it) and spent the rest of the day washing
and waxing, occasionally dipping the tips of my swollen fingers in my
small glass of Lagavulin scotch whisky.

Robert S. Minton
'82 Rabbit Convertible (stolen after nearly 200,000 miles)
'84 Scirocco (totaled by a "friend")
'88 Scirocco 16V (may it last forever)