Re: some funky little questions on some funky gadgets

At 01:16 AM 6/11/97 -0400, you wrote:
>OK, I have a couple of questions on some new products. First is the
>adjustable camber/castor plates from Eurosport:
>Does anyone know how they work?

They mount in the top of the strut tower and are slotted so you can adjust
the camber a little further than what you can normally get. I dont think
castor plates are used with VW's, but im only guessing here.

>  Are people satisfied with them?

Well, I know of one guy who has them in his Rabbit. Basically, unless you
have the capability to change alignments accurately, to get the most use out
of them, you set it once and forget it type product.

They "L00K" cool I sopose. Since there are many out there that really are
more into looks rather than function. (Im more into function myself. Yah, I
know, Im 30, i'm old.) The best use for therm is if you race on different
tracks and have the ability to change the suspension to maintain the best
setup. I think they're more of a Race only application myself.

>They have contacted me to ask if I'd like to distribute their products here
>in the east so I just want some feedback as there aren't many people with
>their stuff around here.

You need to be specific to them when your talking to them about the fact you
are maybe interested, but need to know exactly what it is, what it does and
how can my (your) cutomers benefit from this product. (Not to mention the
aspect of can I move these things at the price I need to sell them to make a
living.. You know?) You really need to be the expert on all of your products
you sell or you'll lose many customers.
Look at the ---->Potterman<----.  L00K!!  He does no advertizing for his
business yet the phone never stops ringing when im there trying to install my
knock sensor! (It will happen some day) The guy is a totalVW guru! If your
thinking about modifying some part from a VW bus to work on a Rabbit, he will
know if it will work or not! (Look at mikes head get really big reading
this!) Im not blowing smoke, I hate to blubber on about how good he is but
ive yet to meet or talk to someone who had the kind of parts knowlege he has.
As I said before, he is a guru (even hasa little chair at the top of a big
hill) with the kind of customer service skills that are whats reqquired to be
successfull in the parts bidnez! Hes now got his own company going (as you
ALL know by now) and its only gonna grow. As soon as it gets big enough, Im
gonna be the shipper for them too!!
Ok, lecture is over...... I just thought Mike was a really good example for
you. You decide.

>Next is the 40%/80% Differential Kit from Velocity,
>We also will be carrying these but I just want to know exactly how a LSD
works.

This would be a smart move! I know alot of people want it. Alot of people dont
even know it exists and alot of people dont know where to get it! Its a little
pricey, but refer to the pages of EC mag for the article they did on it.
Cripes, I dont remember which one either, but it was probably late last year.
(anybody know??) That does alot to explain what exactly it does for the
everyday driver. I hope you can find it, there is alot of onfo there. I really
dont want to rehash my own version of what it does, but I can give a short
short version. lemme know.

Now as far as the 40% over the 80% kit. Jeff says that the 40% is for the
average street driving enthusiast. It gives a little more traction to the
front wheels and for the most part, is just fine. He says the 80% is for
the more serious autocrosser/road racer who doesnt want to spend the extra
money on a quaife. I disagree on both counts! I was dissapointed with the 40%
kit. It didnt do enough for me. I mean, I noticed it, but I wanted more front
traction!

Something else to offer to customers is that the discussion of the diff kit VS
quaife is easy. If the cost IS an issue, then your choice is the diff kit,
easily! Not only are you paying only 1/3 the price of a quaife, but you are
also not paying somebody to change out the diff! That requires a complete
tranny removal and tear down/rebuild. So, $1000 for the quaife, another $400+
maybe for having it installed? The diff kit comes with the tools needed to do
the work yourself without removing the tranny from the car.

>Who would it benefit most?

Well, everybody who drives would. First and foremost, id say it is a good
safety issue in that it effectively makes an ortherwise stock 1 wheel drive VW
a 2wd car. (Again, read the article and it will explain why I said this.) Now,
on wet conditions or even worse, ice, it will give every driver a little more
traction  up front ect.
Now, from a performance standpoint, again, everybody gains from it.

>Would it be practical on a road car that gets driven hard
> or is it mostly beneficail for slow speed racing?

I drive my car hard on the road and slow speed racing. It benefits both
greatly, IMHO.
On road courses, I am able to use the throttle to set my car in the corners
and im even able to turn in tighter andf feed in more throttle which will
actually pull the car to the inside of the turn! (I was completely amaz
ed the first time I did it!) The same is true on tighter courses like the
autox but it takes alot more finesse to make it work to the drivers advantage.
(Im working on it!) It just takes time to use the diff kit like any other tool
out there. You cant get in a car and flog it all around the course and expect
it to stick like superglue. You need to learn alot about throttle position,
setting the car, feathering the throttle comming out of turns ect. Its a
completely different car than without the kit. Maybe thats something important
to know to tell your customers? Im not sure but there you have it.

>I am not familiar with the inner
>workings of a differential so thanks for any input,

Well, maybe all I had to offer is nothing but babble. Maybe not. Hopefully
there is something usefull in there. If you need more info, lemme know id be
happy to help. (if I can help.)
Speaking of babble, where the heck is Mr. Mannix?!?!?!

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and