Strut install

Hello fellow watercoolers:

I had strut cartridges, strut bearings, bushings, and bump stops installed
on my '87 rocco 8V recently. One problem, there was a clunking noise coming
from what appeared to be the shock towers in front before the install, and
it is still there.

Is it possible that my mechanic left a part or two out? If he did, would I
be able to tighten the nut at the very top of the strut to take up any
slack that may exist if he left a bushing or something out?

By the way, I purchased Boge Turbo Gas for the struts and shocks. They feel
pretty damned good. Not stiff enough for doing 90 MPH around turns but
impressive.

Thanks for any suggestions. Oh, BTW, the anti-rattle clips are on my brake
pads.

Regards,
Paul Hanley
'79 Rabbit (it all started here)
'83 Jetta w/close ratio (fun)
'84 Jetta GLi (totalled)
'87 Scirocco 8V Wolfie (power steering, yuck)