Noisy Lifters--Solved!

Hi All,

Took my car in to have the power steering pressure hose replaced.  As I
pulled into the service bay, I heard a faint ticking...yep, you guessed
it, those noisy lifters akin to Chinese water torture.  I hadn't been
driving the car long so the noise hadn't completely gone away as is the
norm.  I asked the mechanic to check the lifters and replace some/all as
he saw fit.  I didn't expect to see my car again for about a week.  Two
hours later, he calls me at work and tells me to come pick up my car.
Fine.  I asked him if I'd have to wait for the lifters to come in on
order at which he replied, "there's nothing wrong with your lifters."
Eh?  Then what's with the noise?  "Well, seems you got some sludge
caught in there and after looking around, I just flushed your engine and
added some oil I think you'll like."  Oil he thinks I'll like?  Hmmm.

Got down to the shop and he gave me a complimentary gift of slude in a
cup. How nice.  I asked about the "oil I'd like" and he showed me
something called Luke's Oil.  Anyone heard of it?  Anyway, it's 100%
petroleum (not synthetic?) and was a heavy grade, 20W50.  Okay.  "Why
did my car make that noise" I ask.  "Well, as your car gets older, you
may need to go to heavier weight oil.  Think of it as Geritol for your
car.  And, once in awhile....I'm not telling you to break the
law....take the car out on a back road and just open it up."  Eh?

"Sure, you see, you don't drive very aggressively (he assumes and is
correct to a point).  The buildup obviously got to be too much for the
engine and the noise was its way of telling you there was carbon sludge
buildup." Go figure.  "These lifters should last a lot longer than
100,000 miles and such was the case.  Just needed to be cleaned was
all."  Okay.

The acid test.  Jumped in the car, started it up.  No noise!  Drove it
back to work and let it sit for about 5 hours.  Start up.  No noise!
Nada!  Zilch!  Zero!  It was almost TOO quiet.

Today was a good day :)

Steph