Exhaust upgrade/82 8v

I have an 82 1.8l JH. The exhaust that was on the car when I bought it is still there, just
barely, though. There is all sorts of rumbling and popping between shifts, and when coasting
(especially bad while coasting downhill...) I obviously want a new exhaust, but with the condition
that the rest of the car is in, I don't wanna spend a ton of cash...

My question is this: What would the difference be with me getting a Techtonics (or similar) system
or going to the local muffler shop (who does custom work) and asking him to hook up a 2" system
from the header back, and installing a Super Flow or whatever (?) hi-flow muffler?

On a non-Scirocco related note, hopefully this message is readable by all, I have taken to hitting
return at the end of each line, so that it wraps around for you all. If anyone out there is using
MS Outlook as their Email reader, please let me know how you got it to set line length to 80
characters...

Thanks in advance for all responses,

Greg.
82 Scirocco 1.8 JH