Re: general questions

Since I haven't seen anyone answer this one yet, I thought that I'd take
a stab at it...

> Hey all, I've got a few basic questions about Sciroccos, 16v's in
> particular.  I just got this car ('87 16v) a few weeks ago, and the
> previous owner made several modifications.  I would like to know what he
> did and what is stock.  First off, do the 16v's come stock with front
> lower stress bars?

I assume you mean swaybar (connecting the lower a-arms together)
so yes they do.

> And how big is the stock front swaybar?

I believe it is 16.5mm, but someone else will be sure to correct me if
I'm wrong.  Well, the biggest it could be would be like 18mm anyway...

> The other
> thing I'm currently wondering about is the lower control arms in the
> rear have large hoops with rubber linings on the inside...  maybe a
> mount for an aftermarket swarbar?

If these mounts are located in the rear of the car at the bottom of
the shock/coil unit, then yes, they are a pickup point for an after-
market swaybar.  The stock bar is mounted to the trailing axle with
a strap-like mechanism.

> The holes are huge, maybe 1 1/4
> inches.

Let's see, a swift burst of mental arithmetic says that could be the
end mounts for a 28mm bar...

> These hoops stick in towards the center of the car.
> Thanks in advance for your time!

No problem!

> John

Laytron!